The Office of Innovation & Technology (OIT) is the central IT agency for the City of Philadelphia headed by the Chief Information Officer. This position is supported by the CityGeo team (also known as the GIS Services Group) of OIT led by the Chief Geographic Information Officer (GIO). The CityGeo team manages enterprise GIS operations for the city including on-prem and cloud services, large scale technology and data contracts, and governance for geodata sharing and development standards.
The GIS Analyst is responsible for executing GIS projects for analysis, mobile field data collection, data development, predictive analytics and data modeling for PFD. The work will be conducted using both spatial and non-spatial databases with the ESRI suite products and PFD specific applications. Primary responsibilities will focus on preparing spatial analyses, data creation, and ETL processes to support business intelligence needs and measure program performance. This work will include statistical analysis, predictive analysis, developing metrics using R, Excel, and other related GIS tools.
The PFD is moving toward increasing its use of data in day to day operations, and GIS and analytics will be a large part of this initiative. This position is a working GIS position, and the analyst will be expected to perform daily and special projects relating to GIS. The candidate will support OIT’s efforts to enforce data standards for the creation, management, and sharing of spatial and non-spatial data for business intelligence, performance tracking, and open data publishing
• Develop, edit and maintain geospatial datasets and databases
• Create and maintain process automation related to data maintenance.
• Prepare and execute queries in spatial and non-spatial databases using SQL.
• Complete and update technical documentation and metadata for processes and datasets.
• Development and maintenance of web and mobile map applications published via ArcGIS Online/Portal.
• Analyze data for reports, dashboards, and in presentations to the Commissioner and staff.
• Support the extraction, transformation and loading (ETL) of departmental data into ArcGIS Online dashboard(s) or similar technology for the analysis and presentation of data.
• Query, analyze, and prepare statistics on spatial and non-spatial data using GIS, Excel, R, and other tools.
• Prepare and execute workflows, geoprocessing models, and automated routines using Python and ModelBuilder.
• Prepare and maintain project status reports to Senior Lead GIS Analyst.
• Prepare and print large-scale hardcopy maps applying sound cartographic techniques
• Prepare and deliver presentations and/or training sessions related to GIS and related tools or procedures for departmental staff on as needed basis.
• Interact and develop relationships with departmental management and fire department staff.
• Participate in meetings and events within the department and citywide GIS community.
• Interact with other OIT, Police, License & Inspections, and Office of Emergency Management GIS and analytical staff on data sharing, ETL, and other joint projects.
About City of Philadelphia
With a workforce of over 25,000 people, and opportunities in more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia is the fifth largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania. As an employer, the City of Philadelphia operates through the guiding principles of service, integrity, respect, accountability, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. Through these principles, we strive to effectively deliver services, to resolve the challenges facing our city, and to make Philadelphia a place where all of our residents have the opportunity to reach their potential.