Attending a career fair? Here’s some good questions to ask
Ever get to an interview or job fair and not know what questions to ask? Would-be employers love questions and it really shows enthusiasm on the part of the candidate. Here’s some suggestions:
- How does one enter this field? How did you enter it? What are typical entry-level jobs?
- What skills are important for this work?
- What are the most relevant majors for this work?
- What are the prospects for this work in our area? What are the prospects elsewhere?
- What are the education/training requirements?
- Do you have any advice for someone who is interested in working in the field?
- Do you know of anyone else I should be contacting to learn more about this work?Can you suggest materials I should read to learn more about it?
- Do you hire students for the summer (or co-op work terms)?
- When and how do you advertise those positions?
- Could you suggest any volunteer work that might help me get some experience in this area?
- What kinds of positions will you be recruiting for, and from which academic backgrounds?
- How important is having related summer work?
- Would I need more than an undergraduate degree for employment or advancement?
- What is the culture of your workplace?
- How is the company responding to (a current event)?
- What do you like most about your work? What are the biggest challenges?
Source: UVic coop education